What stardom has caused me —Linda Ejiofor

Nollywood actress Linda Ejiofor has successfully interpreted the role of Bimpe in MNET’s popular TV series, Tinsel, for over seven years. In this interview with JOAN OMIONAWELE, she talks about her life as an actress, among other issues. Excerpts:
You recently featured in the movie ‘8 Bars and a Clef’ as the girlfriend of a troubled musician, what was the experience like?
It was exciting and challenging, but in a great way. I had never played anything like my character in ‘8 Bars and a Clef’. I had a fantastic time becoming her and I would not change anything about that process.

What prompted you to take the role?
The director did. I first met Chioma at the African International Film Festival. When she told me about this film and wanting me on board it, her passion was infectious and then, of course, when I read the script I was sold.

What makes this movie special?
It is definitely the message. Dyslexia is not something that is regularly addressed in mainstream Nollywood. ‘8 Bars and a Clef’ helps turn the spotlight on this condition and shows us how a very determined young musician excels in spite of his challenges.

Domestic violence is on the rise in recent times, what do you think is the solution?
I think we all need to realise that every individual is unique. Simply because something works for you does not mean that it will work for your neighbour. I think violence of any sort is unacceptable and domestic violence should not be condoned. I think that as humans, we need to use the gift of speech that God gave us, to communicate. Everyone needs to use their words instead of their fists. And when you do speak, try to be kind,  especially in those moments when kindness does not come naturally to you.

What, in your opinion makes a good script?        
There are too many elements that go into making a script good. But as an actor, we want to read scripts that are original, or have a fresh take on an old idea. We would like the story to be relatable and for the characters to be believable and three dimensional.

What can make you refuse a script?       
I have said no to scripts due to scheduling challenges.

It’s about nine years since you have been playing the role of Bimpe in ‘Tinsel’ and the character has remained stupid, how do you keep up?
(Laughs) Bimpe holds a very dear spot in my heart. This character was my introduction into the acting world. She is so different from Linda Ejiofor. I enjoy the challenge of playing someone who does the opposite of what I would do. As for her stupidity, well that is an integral part of the character; she puts her foot in her mouth a lot. Unless the writers decide to take her in a different direction, I’ll continue to play Bimpe as written.

Who are the people you look up to in Nollywood?
I look up to a lot of people in Nollywood, but if I had to list a handful of names, I’d say RMD, Joke Silva and Rita Dominic.

You are a shy person, yet the industry requires you to be outspoken, how easy is it for you to switch when the need arises?
Initially it was very difficult, but now not so much. I’ve learned to separate Linda Ejiofor the person from whatever character I am playing. My feelings do not matter, only the character does. So if I am playing an outspoken character I would be doing her a disservice if I held back.

What will you say stardom has cost you?              
My privacy, but it has given me so much more. Being able to spend every day doing something I love is a privilege. I have a bigger voice now and the ability to influence hundreds, thousands and even millions of people. I am grateful for it all.

What’s your beauty regimen?
Nothing complicated, I do not sleep with makeup on my face. I drink loads of water, I moisturise and when I am out I use sunscreen.

How do you keep in shape?
I work out, I watch what I eat and I do not eat after 7pm.

What do you think should change about Nollywood ?
Financing is a major challenge in Nollywood. Compared to Hollywood, we have to work on a shoestring I think I would change that. If producers had more resources at their disposal I am certain it would help improve the current standard.

How has life been as an actress?
It has been rewarding. I may have not started on this path, but I love my job and I cannot imagine a reality where I was not an actor.

There is this disparity between the old and new Nollywood, what’s your take?
Nollywood is one industry, old or new, young or veteran, what we do is make films. I think experience and youth can function side by side, and I do not see a need to differentiate or segregate the industry. There is no new Nollywood and there is no old Nollywood. There is a Nigerian film industry and our moniker is Nollywood.

What pisses you off about people?
I do not like dishonest people.
Entertainment

No comments