I am not a politician — Arase

 
The immediate past Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase, has said he would rather write books or teach to impact positively on humanity than engage in politics.

He explained that he did not have the temperament for politics.

Arase, who stated this shortly after a reception held in his honour on Saturday evening in Benin City, the Edo State capital, also described life after service as “very relaxing.”

He said, “I am an academic; I will write books, I will rest and do humanity work.

 I want to spend the rest of my life touching the lives of the less privileged people within my community.

“I will sit down to write some books, develop protocol for security sector reforms and, if I have an opportunity to teach, I will teach.

 I like talking. I will do humanitarian work.’’

Arase, who described the process of tackling security challenges in the country as a marathon and not a sprint, noted that the Federal Government was on course, with its current efforts at addressing the issue.

He also pledged his support for the police in order to advance peace and security across the country.

He said, “It is a gradual thing. It is not a sprint; it is a marathon. 

When you want to deal with security situations, it is a gradual thing and I think we are on course in the country.

“I have been a policeman for 35 years. I will always remain a policeman and I will always do anything that I can to enhance the policing culture.’’

Arase had in July been accused by his successor of allegedly leaving office with 24 vehicles belonging to the Nigeria Police Force but he denied the allegation, describing it as a “malicious accusation.”

The issue drew the attention of several groups who called on IG Ibrahim Idris to apologise to his predecessor.

But when our correspondent asked if the IG had apologised to him, Arase said, “That is a story I will not want to talk about.”

Arase also expressed appreciation for the support he received during his tenure as the 18th indigenous Inspector-General of Police.

“I am humbled; I am grateful that my people have found me worthy to be so honoured in this way. 

That is why I said in my speech that I will continue to do everything that is edifying of a Benin man,” Arase added.

No comments